- A. General Materials & Mathematics
- B. Statics
- C. Kinematics & Dynamics
- D. Rotational Mechanics
- E. Gravitation & Astronomy
- F. Fluid Mechanics
- G. Vibrations & Mechanical Waves
- H. Sound
- I. Thermodynamics
- J. Electrostatics & Magnetostatics
- K. Electromagnetic Principles
- L. Geometrical Optics
- M. Wave Optics
- N. Spectra & Color
- O. Vision
- P. Modern Physics
I5-02. Transformation Of Mechanical Energy Into Heat
To demonstrate transformation of mechanical energy into heat.
Quarter-inch electric drill, 1/4" dowel rod, soft wood block.
Teach this to a boy scout.
Use an electric drill to spin a wooden dowel rod in a hole on a large wooden beam. Shortly the contact point begins to smoke, indicating generation of heat due to friction.