- A. General Materials & Mathematics
- B. Statics
- C. Kinematics & Dynamics
- D. Rotational Mechanics
- E. Gravitation & Astronomy
- F. Fluid Mechanics
- G. Vibrations & Mechanical Waves
- H. Sound
- I. Thermodynamics
- J. Electrostatics & Magnetostatics
- K. Electromagnetic Principles
- L. Geometrical Optics
- M. Wave Optics
- N. Spectra & Color
- O. Vision
- P. Modern Physics
I1-13. Thermal Expansion - Bimetal Strip
To demonstrate differential thermal expansion.
Bimetal strip with burner.
Strips of invar steel and brass are welded together to form a bimetal strip. Because their coefficients of thermal expansion are different, heating the bimetal strip over a burner results in bending, as illustrated. This type of material is used in some types of thermostatic controllers.