- A. General Materials & Mathematics
- B. Statics
- C. Kinematics & Dynamics
- D. Rotational Mechanics
- E. Gravitation & Astronomy
- F. Fluid Mechanics
- G. Vibrations & Mechanical Waves
- H. Sound
- I. Thermodynamics
- J. Electrostatics & Magnetostatics
- K. Electromagnetic Principles
- L. Geometrical Optics
- M. Wave Optics
- N. Spectra & Color
- O. Vision
- P. Modern Physics
I1-32. Rubber Band Contraction During Heating
To demonstrate that rubber contracts when heated.
Long rubber band (in refrigerator), 500g mass, stand, and heat gun.
A 500 gram mass hangs from a rubber band which is connected to a rigid support. Using the heat gun, apply heat to the entire length of the rubber band, causing it to contract and pull up the weight.
J. B. Brown, Thermodynamics of a Rubber Band, AJP 31, 397 (1963).