- A. General Materials & Mathematics
- B. Statics
- C. Kinematics & Dynamics
- D. Rotational Mechanics
- E. Gravitation & Astronomy
- F. Fluid Mechanics
- G. Vibrations & Mechanical Waves
- H. Sound
- I. Thermodynamics
- J. Electrostatics & Magnetostatics
- K. Electromagnetic Principles
- L. Geometrical Optics
- M. Wave Optics
- N. Spectra & Color
- O. Vision
- P. Modern Physics
Inertia - Small Steel Ball
To demonstrate inertia of rest.
Stand with spring, card, and ball, as photographed.
This experiment is useful only for small groups.
A spring is pulled back and released, flipping the card away so that the steel ball falls into the cup. A small flat has been filed onto the ball so that it will rest in position on the card.
Haym Kruglak and Robert Scherzer, An Applause-Winning Inertia Trick, TPT 33, 284 (1995).