- A. General Materials & Mathematics
- B. Statics
- C. Kinematics & Dynamics
- D. Rotational Mechanics
- E. Gravitation & Astronomy
- F. Fluid Mechanics
- G. Vibrations & Mechanical Waves
- H. Sound
- I. Thermodynamics
- J. Electrostatics & Magnetostatics
- K. Electromagnetic Principles
- L. Geometrical Optics
- M. Wave Optics
- N. Spectra & Color
- O. Vision
- P. Modern Physics
Can Crusher - Wall Stability
To show how a small change in the geometry of the can wall can dramatically affect its ability to support a load.
Aluminum soda can, two sharp pencils, human victim.
Keep your fingers out of the way.
An assistant balances carefully on one foot on an aluminum soft drink can. When the sides of the can are dimpled simultaneously by poking them sharply with pencil tips, the can immediately collapses.