- A. General Materials & Mathematics
- B. Statics
- C. Kinematics & Dynamics
- D. Rotational Mechanics
- E. Gravitation & Astronomy
- F. Fluid Mechanics
- G. Vibrations & Mechanical Waves
- H. Sound
- I. Thermodynamics
- J. Electrostatics & Magnetostatics
- K. Electromagnetic Principles
- L. Geometrical Optics
- M. Wave Optics
- N. Spectra & Color
- O. Vision
- P. Modern Physics
Torque Condition For Equilibrium
To demonstrate that equilibrium of forces is an insufficient condition for static equilibrium.
Pre-assembled as photographed.
The weight of the rod is balanced by two equal weights hung over pulleys. While holding the rod fixed, move a weight from one side to the other. The force condition for equilibrium is still met, but the torque condition is not satisfied, and therod will rotate.